Established In 1961, IIM Calcutta was the first institute established under the IIM legacy. Ranked 3 under the Management category by NIRF 2020, IIM Calcutta is considered as one of the best B-schools in the country for Management education. The institute offers PG, doctoral and executive programmes to the students out of which MBA (or PGPM) is the flagship course. Popularly known as IIMC, the Institute has consistently seen a good number of recruiters and students who have served in reputed firms across the world.
With a 135-acre campus, IIM Calcutta has one of the best-looking campuses in India surrounded by seven lakes and this unique feature has earned it the title – ‘The Campus of 7 Lakes’. This institute features a bunch of administrative and faculty office blocks, fully-equipped classrooms, a 750-seat auditorium, multiple seminar and conference rooms, residential quarters for students, faculty and staff members, a library with over 1,40,000 reference works and 1,500 periodicals, a training complex and much more. One of the unique features of its campus is its Management Center for Human Values (MCHV) that strives to endorse contemporary adaptations from the perennial corpus of Indian psycho-philosophical wisdom.
Over the years, IIM Calcutta has partnered with over 40 prestigious B-schools across North & South America, Europe, Australia and Asia, such as Bocconi University (Italy), Copenhagen Business School (Denmark) and Ivey Business School (Canada), among others. It also runs an international Student Exchange Program (STEP) as a part of its curriculum. Not just this, it has established itself as the top choice of recruiters across all profiles, such as investment banking, operations, consulting, marketing, general management and information systems. Maintaining this trend, it is witnessing a 100% placements record every year.
IIM Calcutta Highlights
|Type of institute||Public|
|Accreditations||AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS|
|Ranking||3 for IIMs by NIRF 20203 for IIMs by Outlook 2020|
|Campus area||135 acre|
|Total faculty members||80+|
|Total courses offered||5+|
|Type of programmes||PG, Doctoral and Executive|
|Exams accepted||– MBA: CAT/ GMAT- MBA-Ex: GMAT- PhD: CAT/ GMAT / GRE / GATE / UGC-NET JRF|
|Partner institutes||– Bocconi University, Italy- Copenhagen Business School, Denmark- Ivey Business School, Canada- Olin Business School, USA|
|Highest salary||Rs 80 LPA|
|Top recruiters||Mahindra & Mahindra, Tata Administrative Service (TAS), Vedanta, Aditya Birla Group, Reliance Industries, TrueNorth and Hindustan Unilever|
|Type of scholarships offered||– Merit-based- Scholarships for reserved category students|
IIM Calcutta Ranking
One of the 20 IIMs established in the country so far, IIM Calcutta has always remained in the top three positions not just among other IIMs but among other B-Schools in India. NIRF 2020 ranked this institute 3 for IIMs. A few more rankings received by IIM Calcutta are listed below:
- Ranked 3 for IIMs by Outlook 2020
- Ranked 2 for MBA by Business Today 2019
- Ranked 2 for MBA by BW Business World 2019
- Ranked 3 for MBA by Composite Rank 2019
- Ranked 5 for MBA by Economic Times 2019
- Ranked 2 for Executive MBA by Business Today 2017
IIM Calcutta Cutoff 2021
Accepting CAT as the primary exam for admission, IIMs do not release CAT cutoffs publically as their cutoffs are accessible only via account login to candidates who appear for the exam. A lot of news websites including the official IIM websites, however, publish the qualifying cutoffs. But students must note that that there are two types of CAT cutoffs for admission to IIMs – qualifying cutoff (or shortlist cutoff) and final cutoff (or call cutoff). While the qualifying cutoff is announced with the release of admission policy (for particular IIMs), the latter is announced (not publicly) post result declaration.
IIM Calcutta Admission Process
IIM Calcutta offers MBA, MBA Executive, PGPEX-VLM, PGDBA and doctoral programmes along with a few executive programmes under various disciplines of Management education. IIM Calcutta admission process is completely online and is dependent on CAT exam. Course-wise admission details are as follows:
- The flagship MBA programme requires a valid score in CAT exam (minimum 85 percentile)
- Overseas candidates are required to have a valid score in GMAT
- IIM Calcutta has altered its weightage parameters to shortlist students by increasing the weightage assigned to their academic performance (56% weightage for CAT score and 44% for academics)
- Final admission to MBA is granted based on a cumulative score of components including CAT percentile, Personal Interview (PI), WAT (Written Ability Test), past academic performance and work experience
- For admission to PGPEX-VLM, candidates must be engineering graduates. Final selection is based on an aptitude test conducted by the institute.
- Candidates are required to appear for a Computer-Based test conducted by the institute for admission to PGDBA
- For MBA-Ex, a valid sore is required in GMAT exam
- For admission to PhD, candidates are required to have a valid score in CAT exam
- Those who do not have a CAT score can also apply via GMAT / GRE / GATE / UGC-JRF exams according to the specialisation selected by them
IIM Calcutta Courses
IIM Calcutta offers a number of PG, doctoral and executive programmes to the students, such as PGPM, PGDBA, PGPEx-VLM, MBA-Ex and PhD, among others. Widely considered as one of the best B-schools in India for Finance programmes, details regarding all the courses offered by this institute are as follows:
- The two-year residential PGPM is the flagship course of IIM Calcutta that is available across 11 specialisations
- MBA for Executives (MBA-Ex or PGPEx) is IIM Calcutta’s one-year full-time residential programme meant for executives with over five years of professional experience. Students are required to take 15 electives in this course which are spread over three terms (Terms IV, V and VI). These electives can be selected from a wide range of electives provided by the institute.
- Post Graduate Programme for Executives for Visionary Leadership in Manufacturing (PGPEX-VLM) is a one-year full-time residential programme. The course is being conducted jointly by three premier institutes of India, namely IIM Calcutta, IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras. It has been designed by these institutes in consultation with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade and Ministry of HRD (Government of India).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Analytics (PGDBA) programme is jointly offered by IIM Calcutta, IIT Kharagpur, and ISI. It is a two-year full-time residential diploma course.
- At doctoral-level, the institute offers a full-time PhD programme across two streams, which include Doctoral Programme in Management and Doctoral Programme in Disciplines Related to Management across nine and three specialisations, respectively
- Apart from the PG and doctoral-level courses, IIM Calcutta also offers a few Management Development Programmes and Long Duration Programmes to the students
The below table mentions the minimum eligibility criteria and fee for all IIM Calcutta courses:
|Course||Eligibility Criteria||Course Fee (in Rs lakh)|
|PGPM (MBA)- Economics- Finance and Control- Marketing||Qualifying exams: CAT/GMATA Bachelor’s degree with at least 50% aggregate or equivalent CGPA (45% in case of candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ PWD categories)||–|
|PGDBA||Qualifying exam: Computer-Based test conducted by the institute- A pass in 10+2+4 with a minimum aggregate of 60% or 6.5 CGPA on a 10 point scale or equivalent in BS/BTech/BE or equivalent Level OR– A pass in 10+2+5 mode with a minimum aggregate of 60%, or 6.5 CGPA on a 10 point scale or equivalent, in the Integrated Masters/ BArch/ MBBS or equivalent level OR– A pass in 10+2+3+2 with a minimum aggregate of 60%, or CGPA 6.5 on a 10-point scale, or equivalent, in the Masters Level- For reserved category, candidates need to score at least 55% or 6.0 CGPA on a 10 point scale or equivalent||20|
|PGPEx-VLM||Qualifying exam: Aptitude test conducted by the institute, GMAT preferred (not compulsory)- First-class graduate engineer with 1st division/ 1st class marks from SLC/ Madhyamik- Minimum 4½ to maximum 10 years of work experience in manufacturing, engineering and related sector (For self-sponsored candidates not in service)- Sponsored candidates need to have a minimum of 4½ years of work experience only (there is no upper limit of experience)||11.25|
|PGPEx (MBA Ex)||Qualifying exam: GMAT- Bachelor’s degree (minimum 10+2+3 years of formal education) or equivalent in any discipline- At least 5 years of full time post-qualification managerial/professional experience as on March 31 of the year of admission||27|
|PhD– Economics- Finance & Control- Human Resource Management||Qualifying exams: CAT/ GMAT / GRE / GATE / UGC-NET JRFA first-class pass in any master’s degree or PG diploma (2 years) and a three-year bachelor’s degree with at least 50% aggregateORCA with minimum 50% aggregate or CS/CMA with minimum 55% aggregate with BCom degreeORBTech/ any 4-year degree with 6.5 CGPA or equivalent.- Non-engineering candidates who have undergone 10+2+5 years will be considered eligible to apply- Applicant must have obtained a minimum of 50% aggregate in either Class 10 or Class 12 Reservation: 60% of the seats are reserved for the reserved category candidates (including EWS)||–|
IIM Calcutta Placements
Placements are an integral part of every B-school life and IIM Calcutta for that matter follows the culture of knowledge sharing and mentorship. Every year, the second-year students of the institute organise a mentorship programme for the first-year students to prepare them for the summer placements process. This mentorship programme begins with CV making, wherein each first-year student is assigned two-three mentors with a similar background. IIM Calcutta placements 2020 wrapped up recently and witnessed the participation of 148 recruiters for a batch size of over 400 students. A few more highlights from IIM Calcutta placements 2020 are as follows:
- IIM Calcutta placements 2020 witnessed a median salary of Rs 25.5 LPA and the highest salary of Rs 80 LPA
- Companies such as Mahindra & Mahindra, Tata Administrative Service (TAS), Vedanta, Aditya Birla Group, Reliance Industries, TrueNorth, Hindustan Unilever, Colgate-Palmolive, ITC, Mondelez, and test prep firm FIITJEE made major offers for Sales, Marketing, and General Management roles
- Consulting turned out to be the highest recruiting sector with 31% of the total offers
This year’s placements saw a growth of 10% in the average salary package as compared to the placements drive of the year 2019. The institute repeated its history of excellent placements for its MBA batch.
IIM Calcutta Scholarships
IIM Calcutta offers a variety of scholarships sponsored by multiple companies, such as Aditya Birla Group, Ratan Tata Trust, T. Thomas Scholarship sponsored by HUL, OP Jindal Engineering & Management Scholarship to deserving students on the basis of merit and other criteria as stipulated by the sponsors.
In addition to this, it also offers NTPC awards merit scholarships to deserving SC/ST students with disabilities on the basis of their MBA-I result. Government of India also sponsors a few Merit-Cum-Means Scholarships for SC/ST students based on their performance during admissions.
IIM Calcutta Alumni
IIM Calcutaa has a stong alumni network of more than 15000 who are majorly working in Management, Academy, Public and Social Services across the world. Given below are some of the most prominent alumni of IIM Calcutta:
- Rohit Chadda: CEO for the digital business at Zee group
- Sunil Alagh: former MD and CEO of Britannia Industries
- Ajit Balakrishnan: founder and chief executive officer of Rediff.com
- Sunil Duggal: chief executive officer of Dabur
- Indra Nooyi: chairman and chief executive officer of PepsiCo
- Dan Gode: professor at New York University
- Prakash Apte: academician, professor and former director of IIM Bangalore
- Amish Tripathi: novelist and author of the Shiva Trilogy
- Amolak Rattan Kohli: former governor of the Indian state of Mizoram
Currently, 709 alumni of IIM Calcutta are working in Accenture, 373 in TCS, 346 in IBM, 336 in Amazon and 238 in Deloitte.
IIM Calcutta Fest
Carpe Diem is the annual cultural fest of IIM Calcutta. It has grown tremendously over the years to become one of the most anticipated college fest. From extravagant performances from stars like Amit Trivedi, Nucleya, Indian Ocean, Kumal Kamra to flagship events like Armageddon, Razmataaz, we’ve staged them all. We have our own CSR initiative under the name of Umeed. The 3 days of Carpe Diem are the most happening days in your campus life.
Intaglio is IIM Calcutta’s Annual Business Summit and it has over the years created an excellent image across campuses with students from top management institutes visiting for challenging business competitions.
Intaglio in Dec 2017 witnessed over 8,500+ registrations from 300+ institutes nationally for 21 competitive events and workshops. As a new initiative, Intaglio conducted 8 corporate workshops which witnessed a participation of 1000+ candidates. Regalio, the cultural event of Intaglio even witnessed a stand-up performance by popular comedian Anirban Dasgupta.